Friday, November 18, 2011

Lessons I'm Learning About Being a Mom, Part 1

I started a post yesterday on my phone, and when I just went to finish it, it was no longer there. Guess I didn't save it. Oh well!

Yesterday was a bit of a rough day for me and Lydia. It started off well. We got up early and went to the school wide chapel at Pa
rk Street School with Seth. He was playing guitar, and we wanted to go with him. She did great while we were there, but the rest of the day was a bit hard. After I let her cry it out for one hour when she was supposed to be napping, I got her up and fed her because the 3 hour schedule I have her on was about to start again anyways. This is a picture of her after she ate and was now content:

She was sitting on my lap, and I was thinking about the things I have learned since becoming a mom. This list is not exhaustive by any means. I titled it "Part 1" because I am sure that there will be many more lessons learned in the near future.

1. A scarf can also be used as a burp cloth. Depending on what color it is, people might not even notice that it has spit up on it.
2. Babywise is my friend. Babywise is a method for training your baby to sleep through the night. I followed its principles, and Lydia was sleeping 7 hours at night after just a few weeks. She is now sleeping 9-10 hours each night.
3. Although Babywise is great, Lydia still has times when sleeping is difficult (like yesterday when she cried for an hour when I put her down for a nap). Times like these, I have to improvise. I am learning that she is not going to be ruined for life if I have to adjust her schedule. In the moment, however, it feels much worse than it actually is.
4. I need my husband, Seth, more than ever before. And I need him for a lot more than just to help with Lydia. I need him to make me laugh. I need his wisdom when I have to make decisions about what is best for Lydia at any given moment. (e.g., Do we let her cry, or do we try every possible method we know to soothe her?) I need him to tell me about music gear he is researching or an article he read on Christianity today or something else altogether random that he has become an expert on thanks to Wikipedia. ;) I need him to chat with me when we are utterly exhausted at the end of the day ready to fall asleep. Just to name a few...
5. Seth needs me to be his wife and not just Lydia's mommy.
6. I need time to myself. I am an introvert (i.e., someone who gets energy from being by myself), and I now have another person with me 24 hours a day that I am primarily responsible for taking care of. The time I get to myself is even more precious than it used to be.
7. It is the hardest and most rewarding job in the world. There is nothing I would rather be doing in the whole world.

More lessons to come!


No comments:

Post a Comment