Friday, May 24, 2013

Meals for the Rest of the Week

Tuesday Night
We had Pasta Primavera from my Community of Faith Christian Fellowship Cookbook. This recipe was contributed by Kendra Aguilar and Carolyn Marcus.  I have so much respect for each of these moms and have learned (and continue to learn) from each of them. Here is the recipe:

Ingredients:
2 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 red pepper, julienne
1 cup broccoli flowerets (I used frozen chopped)
1 carrot, julienne
1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
1 tsp basil
1 tsp fresh minced parsley (not our fave so I just added a little bit)
pasta (I used farfalle this time)
cooked shredded chicken (optional, I had some in the fridge that I needed to use, so I threw it in)

Sauce:
6 Tbsp butter
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese (added an extra 1/4 cup)
1 clove garlic, minced
cream cheese to taste (used 2 oz but would use less next time)

Steps:
1. Stir-fry vegetables in olive oil. Season with basil and parsley. Turn off heat, and cover to keep warm.
2. Cook pasta.
3. While pasta is cooking, prepare the sauce (melt butter and then add cream, parmesan cheese, cream cheese, and garlic). Cook over low heat stirring frequently until cheese are melted.
4. Toss vegetables, chicken, pasta, and sauce together.
5. Serve immediately.

Prep and Cook time: 45 minutes
Servings: 6 

Lydia enjoyed this dinner and ate all of the veggies. There were two servings leftover. I had one serving the next day, and it was not as enjoyable as it was the night I cooked it.

Wednesday Night
Seth had college FG, so I made grilled cheese for Lydia and me. It was a peaceful dinner with no fussing. She also had applesauce (possibly the #1 food she asks for).

Thursday Night
I made another recipe from the Community of Faith Christian Fellowship Cookbook, "Bubble Up Pizza Casserole," contributed by Sandra Asermelly. This is an easy dish that you can prepare ahead of time. I cut the veggies for it on Tuesday night when I was preparing dinner and put them in ziploc bags in the fridge.

Ingredients:
1 lb lean ground beef
1/2 onion, chopped
2 cups tomato sauce
1/2 tsp dried basil
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1 cup mushrooms, quartered
Pepperoni
1 bell pepper, sliced
1 tube frozen biscuits, quartered
1 1/4 cup Mozzarella cheese

Steps:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Brown meat and onion over medium heat. Drain.
3. Stir in tomato sauce, basil, garlic, and Italian seasoning.
4. Add mushrooms, peppers, pepperoni, and cheese. (I also added some spinach I had on hand, and it was a good addition.)
5. Add quartered biscuits, and stir gently until biscuits are covered with sauce.
6. Pour mixture into a 9x13 inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.
7. Bake for 25 minutes. Sprinkle cheese on top to cover, and bake an additional 10 minutes (or until biscuits are done). The biscuits were a little undercooked this time, so 15 additional minutes may be more accurate.
8. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes

Servings: 8

This dinner was also Lydia-friendly and makes great leftovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment